This healthy Ginger, Lime & Mint Green Smoothie comes naturally loaded with plenty of vitamins & antioxidants. Zesty & fresh tasting, it’s perfect for winter and topping up your immune system.
Though I was sorely tempted to follow the trend this week and talk up a recipe suitable for both Hallowe’en and Bonfire Night, somehow I find myself getting excited about a Ginger, Lime & Mint Green Smoothie. It’s been a while since I shared a truly virtuous recipe, so maybe my conscience was calling me.
Sometimes I get the urge to create something brand new. Really quickly. That’s usually when I break out the fruit and veg from my fridge, whip out my blender and see where my mood takes me. I had one such moment last week. The only stipulation I set myself was that it had to be good for the immune system. This Ginger, Lime & Mint Green Smoothie is the result.
It’s also been a while since I talked about the health benefits of certain ingredients. Well, I’ll keep it short today, but let’s just say that I didn’t just stumble upon the combination of ginger, lime, mint and spinach in this smoothie:
- lime and spinach are both great sources of Vitamin C. And, as we all know, a daily dose of Vitamin C is a great way to support our immune system and help keep colds at bay
- Spinach also comes loaded with numerous antioxidants and beta carotene, which may increase the infection-fighting ability of our immune systems
- ginger and mint are natural remedies for sore throats and mint is also a natural aromatic decongestant
So, though this combination of ingredients was thrown together, it was thoughtfully thrown together. With both taste and health benefits in mind.
Talking of taste, you can expect plenty. First of all, if you’re scathingly expecting a mouthful of spinach, you are going to be delighted. The mild flavour of spinach just disappears. It – intentionally and completely – blends into the background. The over-riding flavours are lime and ginger. With a hint of mint and sweet apple. The lime is ever so slightly in your face, but great for waking yourself up. You can scale the amount of ginger up or down to suit your personal preference.
So, if you feel in need of a body boost pour yourself a glass and feel virtuous.
- 85g/ 3 oz Pineapple - fresh or frozen (skin removed)
- 1 large handful Fresh spinach (28g/ 1oz)
- 4 tsp lime juice
- 5g-10g Fresh ginger (5g = approx 1cm cube) Vary amount according to taste preference
- 15 Fresh mint leaves
- 60ml/ 1/4 cup Coconut water (or water)
- 60ml / 1/4 cup Apple juice
Peel the ginger and chop roughly
Chop the pineapple
Put all ingredients into a blender (with a few ice cubes if desired) and blitz until smooth
Taste - add more ginger if desired
Serve immediately or store in a bottle in the fridge for up to 2 days - shake vigorously before consuming as the contents will separate during storage