Spiced Buckwheat Porridge
Spiced buckwheat porridge is an easy to make breakfast packed full of goodness. This comforting dish is best served warm and topped with fresh fruit and perhaps some nuts or seeds. Made with simple store cupboard ingredients, this naturally gluten-free breakfast can also be made ahead of time.
- 160 g/ 1 cup Buckwheat groats
- 625 ml/ 2 ½ cups Whole (full fat) milk or dairy-free milk alternative
- ½ teaspoon Chai spice or ⅜ teaspoon cinnamon + ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoon Demerara sugar
Put the groats into a saucepan with the spice and sugar and milk
Put onto a medium heat, bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes
Turn off the heat, cover the pan with a lid and let stand for 10 minutes before serving
Serve with toppings of your choice (see my suggestions in the body of this post))
- Don't forget to stir the pan regularly, to avoid the groats sticking to the bottom of the saucepan. Treat it as you would a risotto
- And rather like a risotto, I like my buckwheat porridge with a little bit of bite. If you prefer it very soft, cook for a few minutes longer (though I would avoid cooking beyond 20 minutes as the groats can turn mushy beyond this stage).
- You can choose to omit the sugar at the cooking stage and just sweeten at the end if preferred. Once cooked, add a little at a time, tasting as you go, until it is sweet enough for you
- Before adding extra sweetness to the base porridge recipe, think about your toppings. Remember that fruits contain natural sweetness, so you may not need as much sugar in the porridge as you might think
- If you are intending to make a large batch to store and heat up as required, remember that the groats will continue to absorb liquid as it sits in the fridge. This means that at the point of reheating, a splash of additional milk may be required to return it to the desired consistency
Calories: 483kcal | Carbohydrates: 77g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 136mg | Potassium: 781mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 506IU | Calcium: 368mg | Iron: 2mg