Chilli Sweet Potato Cubes with Avocado Feta Dip is a relatively healthy yet fun snacking option. Serve them at your next party and delight your guests.
Calling all people who like to snack occasionally. And dip...
Snacking and dipping go hand-in-hand so very pleasantly together and can certainly be addictive.
The good news is that these Sweet Potato Cubes sprinkled with chilli, spring onions and feta are a relatively healthy snacking option. And believe it for not, so is the dip. So it's guilt-free dipping, dunking and chowing down all the way today.
I'll be honest, me and sweet potatoes are not usually naturals together. I definitely need them jazzed up - either with toppings or a dip. So I went all out and ran with both options here. It did the trick. I had to force myself to stop eating them just so I had enough to force feed to my husband for a second opinion. He is rarely in the mood for sweet potatoes, but, just like me, he gave these cubes a big thumbs up. So here they are for you to savour too.
Okay, so now I've talked them up, you'll be wanting the details. I can't wait to tell you about the dip. It's on the verge of stealing the limelight from those divine chilli-spiked sweet and creamy potato cubes. But here goes anyway - the dip.
Although I knew exactly how I wanted the Sweet Potato Cubes to turn out when compiling this recipe, I didn't have a set notion for the dip. Except for the colour. It had to be green to contrast with the sunset orange of the sweet potato.
When making dips I like to keep an open mind and taste frequently until I'm satisfied. Truthfully, my initial mix of healthy dip ingredients was ok, though hardly sensational. But a small crumble of feta blended into the mix ad-hoc ramped up the wow factor and turned it into something quite sublime. This avocado & feta dip manages to embrace creaminess and a punchy bite of flavour at the same time. And it pairs perfectly with the sweet potato cubes.
How to Make Chilli Sweet Potato Cubes
These roasted cubes of nutritious and vibrant sweet potatoes are a breeze to make. Just peel and cube the potatoes, season and toss in oil, then roast for 40 minutes. Just before serving, fry some diced chilli and spring onions, toss into the potatoes and sprinkle with a small amount of feta cheese. Easy.
The chopping can even be completed ahead of time, so all you have to do is slide the baking tin into the oven prior to serving - great for when you are hosting.
Preparing the Avocado & Feta Dip is equally simple. All ingredients get whizzed together using a stick blender and the dip keeps well, refrigerated, for up to 2 days.
If you want to up your snacking game with minimal effort, these Chilli Sweet Potato Cubes with Avocado & Feta Dip are a fine option.
Chilli Sweet Potato Cubes with Avocado & Feta Dip
For the Sweet Potato Cubes
- 2 Medium Sweet Potatoes (approx 575g/ 20oz total)
- 1-2 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 Red chilli (medium heat)
- 2 Spring onions (scallions)
- 45 g/ 1 ½oz Feta cheese
For the Avocado & Feta Dip
- 2 tablespoon Greek yoghurt (full fat)
- 10 g/ ¼ cup Fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 6 Mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon Tahini
- ½ Avocado (medium)
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ tablespoon Lime juice
- ½ Clove garlic (peeled)
- 15 g/ 1 oz Feta cheese
Make the Sweet Potato Cubes
- Preheat oven to 180c/ 350F/ GM4 and line a baking tin with parchment
- Peel the potatoes and chop into 1 cm cubes
- Lay on the baking parchment, add 1 ½ tablespoon oil and season with salt & pepper. Toss to coat
- Roast for 40 minutes until tender, turning the potatoes half way through the cooking time
- Prepare the chilli and spring onion - deseed the chilli and dice finely. Remove the tough outer skin of the spring onion and slice thinly. Cook in the remaining oil for 2 minutes to soften
- When the potatoes are cooked through, spoon the cooked chilli on and into the pan and toss to combine. Pile the potatoes into serving bowls and crumble the feta over the top. Serve immediately with the Avocado & Feta Dip
Make the Avocado & Feta Dip
- Put the yoghurt, tahini, avocado (skin & stone removed), salt, garlic & lime juice into a jug
- Strip the leaves from the coriander and add to the jug along with the mint
- Blitz with a stick blender until smooth
- Crumble in the feta and blend again
- Store in the fridge (covered) for up to 2 days