Healthy Cinnamon Hot Chocolate is a wholesome but utterly luxurious drink. Sweetened naturally and with a hint of spice this hot chocolate is sure to please the entire family. Make up a batch and keep it in the fridge ready for when your sweet tooth calls on you.
I know that the season for hot chocolate drinking is almost over for a few months, but what can I say? Hot chocolate just got a whole lot better so I’m extending the season. This wonderful cup of Healthy Cinnamon Hot Chocolate is made with naturally sweet ingredients. What’s more, it can be made with regular milk, almond milk, coconut milk, or any other cows milk substitute that takes your fancy. It’s so delicious, nutritious and versatile that I couldn’t wait until autumn to share it with you.
Confession: I am a hot chocolate snob. After growing sick & tired of pathetically weak coffee shop
lukewarm hot chocolate I swore, a few years back, never again to deviate from hot chocolate that contains copious amounts of real chocolate melted into it. I now retract that vow wholeheartedly. When hot chocolate can taste this good, without all the fat & sugar, how can I not love it? But I’ll still boycott those woefully inferior coffee shop versions until they learn to up their game.
My healthy cinnamon hot chocolate is sweetened with dates and flavoured with cocoa powder. Dates have a wonderful, natural sweetness about them. The dates are softened in warm milk and then blitzed with the milk in a blender, giving the drink a slightly thicker consistency. This lends a wonderfully luxurious quality to the hot chocolate. And let’s not forget that hint of spice from the cinnamon. Just sitting alongside those wholesome ingredients looking smug and adding an extra pinch of joy to the mix.
Dates are far more than just a natural way to sweeten food though. Yes, they are incredibly delicious but regular consumption of dates is also a very healthy habit to form since they are marvellously rich in nutrients. If you want to find more out about dates and their magical health benefits, hop over to my recipe for Spiced & Malted Date Shakes where I extol the virtues of dates with a nerdy list of their health benefits.
I never would have believed such a rich, decadent, nutritious and satisfying drink could have been achievable with such simple, wholesome ingredients. Apparently, it’s the dates that make this hot chocolate so filling. Dates are so nutritionally rich that they manage to pacify hunger pangs. In fact, many people choose to end a period of fasting with dates since it stops them consuming too much food following their period of abstinence.
Just like my date shake, this drink is a massive hit with all members of my household. Even my Husband. And he’s not normally a hot chocolate kind of guy. Being totally honest, he did tell me that he prefers my Healthy Cinnamon Hot Chocolate to the regular stuff. Yeeeeees! Victory is mine.
That should be testament enough – go treat yourself to something wickedly delicious but unexpectedly, brilliantly and amazingly healthy.
- 600 ml/ 2.5 cups Milk (almond/ full fat cows milk/ coconut.....)
- 60 g/ 1/4 cup Soft dates (I used Deglet Nour)
- 1 Cinnamon stick - snapped in half
- 1.5 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1.5 tsp Maple syrup (optional)
- 3 tbsp Cocoa powder
- Cinnamon sticks
- Whipped cream
- Cocoa powder - for dusting
- Roughly chop the dates
- Put the milk, dates, cinnamon and maple syrup (if using) into a saucepan and heat to scalding. Set aside to infuse for 15 minutes
- Put the vanilla and cocoa powder into a blender
- Remove the cinnamon and pour the warm milk infusion into the blender
- Blitz until the dates are as fine as the blender can get them
- Optional: strain the hot chocolate through a sieve back into the saucepan.
- Heat through and serve with the cinnamon, cream and cocoa powder if desired
1. I favour almond milk or cows milk for this drink, though any non-dairy milk substitute will be fine. 2. The cream is entirely optional and obviously works best if you make the drink using cows milk and are not following a dairy-free diet.