This twist on the classic date milkshake shake brings in flavours of cinnamon, nutmeg & malt. This sweetly spiced date shake recipe is thick & creamy yet surprisingly healthy.
California, I have to hand it to you, the date milkshake is one of your most wonderful of creations. I've been enjoying a few of these recently, partly because they are a healthy treat but mainly because they are so utterly, fantastically, exceptionally delicious. I love them – a lot.
And so do my kids.
In fact, date milkshakes have recently obliterated the midweek squabble between my children (wishing for a treat drink) and myself (wanting to serve up a healthy milk-based drink to help their young bodies grow strong).
Obviously, dates do contain plenty of sugar, even if it is natural, so I wouldn’t want to serve this up everyday. But as a once a week pleasure, I can think of no better drink to keep both camps happy.
What is a Date Shake?
According to California legend, the date shake was invented in the 1930s by a California date farmer in the Palm Springs area. They were all the rage for quite some time but have become harder to find on restaurant and diner menus as time has moved on.
The classic date shake recipe is simply a mix of dates and milk, whizzed up together to produce one awesome drink. Think:
And while you’re doing all that thinking, ponder for a moment the fact that this thick, sumptuous liquid that you are lapping up doesn’t need any un-wholesome ingredients to make it taste that good. Dates are naturally very sweet and they also thicken the drink very nicely indeed. There really is no need for ice-cream.
Are Dates Healthy?
What’s more, dates are incredibly nutritious – are you ready for one of my nerdy lists of health benefits? Okay, here are just a few reasons to eat dates regularly:
- Dates contain beta-glucan, a special kind of soluble fibre that aids the reduction of high cholesterol
- The fibre in dates also makes them effective as a natural laxative for anybody suffering from constipation
- Dates also contain numerous minerals - selenium, manganese, copper, and magnesium - that are key to healthy bone development and strength. Since bones generally weaken as the human body ages, regular consumption of dates can help promote better bone health in older age
On top of all these benefits, the date shake also gives you a dose of calcium from the milk and counts as a portion of your daily fruit & veg intake.
I’m telling you, the date milkshake is one amazing drink.
What's in This Shake?
The two central ingredients in any date shake recipe will be:
- Dates - Deglet Noir or Medjool are my favourites. I highly recommend using pitted dates so you don't have to mess around de-stoning them
- Milk - I always use whole (full-fat) milk for drinks like this
I’ve spiced up my version – literally – with a few additional ingredients:
- Malt extract
I just love these flavours generally and they all pair with the dates so well.
Make it Dairy-Free
Though my recipe uses standard cows milk, feel free to substitute perhaps almond milk, oat milk or coconut milk for a delicious dairy-free date shake.
Make it Extra-Thick
If keeping things healthy is not your primary concern, add a couple of scoops of good quality vanilla ice cream for an extra-thick, ice-cold and particularly indulgent version of the date shake recipe.
Get a Chocolate Fix
Finally, for those in need of a chocolate hit, I’ve also made a version just for you. This one takes the classic date shake recipe and adds in cinnamon and nutmeg and malt and chocolate. This thought makes me so happy.
Try These Milkshakes Next:
- Gingerbread date shake
- Peanut butter & jelly milkshake
- Coffee date shake
- Skinny chocolate, cherry & coconut shake
Have you made this recipe? I’d love to know how you got along. Leave me a comment, rate the recipe or post your creation on Instagram, tagging me @jane_littlesugarsnaps.
Spiced & Malted Date MIlkshake
- 300 ml/ 11/4 cups Milk (full fat)
- 80 g/ ⅔ cup whole pitted dates (soft ones, such as Medjool blend well)
- ¼ tsp Ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp Ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ tsp Malted milk powder (see notes)
- 1 tbsp Cocoa powder only for the Spiced Chocolate Malted Date Shake
- Place all ingredients into a blender with a few ice cubes and whizz together until the dates are finely blended
- Serve immediately