Satisfy your sugar craving the healthier way. These gluten-free Mint Chocolate Energy Balls contain wholesome ingredients and no refined sugar.
Breaking news. I got myself a food processor. I’ve been without one for about 5 years. I haven’t really missed it, apart from the odd occasion when I've needed to make vast quantities of coleslaw. But then something changed - I discovered energy balls.
If you’ve ever attempted to make energy balls without a food processor, you’ll appreciate the struggle my stick blender was facing as I tried desperately to blitz the sticky ingredients without blowing the motor. And if you’ve ever tasted an energy ball, you’ll understand why I gave way and bought myself a processor. Energy balls are divinely sweet little morsels of natural ingredients that taste so good it’s hard to believe they are so wholesome.
I plumped for Mint Chocolate Energy Balls since I’m a die-hard fan of anything minty & chocolatey. These balls are sweet and tenderly soft with a subtle burst of cool mint & chocolate flavour. Bliss.
I decided to include 3 different types of nut in these energy balls as I think that the different colours and textures of the nuts adds a little extra interest visually.
Confession: after several months of reading about the virtues of energy balls I couldn't help but question if all these healthy ingredients could combine to create something that would satisfy my sweet tooth. I half expected them to be okay but not sweet enough. But it's true, these ingredients do blend to create sweet tasting goodness. They are rather special.
And there's more good news. Not only are these Mint Chocolate Energy Bites naturally gluten-free but they also contain:
- No refined sugar
- Protein from the nuts
- No cholesterol
And that's before I get started on the nutritional virtues of dates. Oh how I love dates.
Not bad. Not bad at all for a sweet treat.
These Mint Chocolate Energy Balls taste fantastic and have a lot to offer nutritionally - a far better snack choice than cake or biscuits. They are a fabulous healthier way to beat a sugar craving.
Have you tried my Cherry Bakewell Almond Energy Balls yet? They are also no-bake, healthy and utterly gorgeous.
Mint Chocolate Energy Balls
- 25 g/ 1 oz Cashew nuts
- 25 g/ 1 oz Hazelnuts nuts
- 50 g/ 2 oz Pistachio nuts
- 200 g/ 7 oz Soft pitted dates
- 2 tablespoon Cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoon Dessicated coconut
- 1 tablespoon Chia seeds (optional)
- ¾ teaspoon Mint extract
- 2 tablespoon Coconut milk
Garnish - optional
- Cocoa powder
- Toasted/ un-toasted dessicated coconut
- Put the nuts into a food processor and process until chopped medium - not too finely though
- Add the remaining ingredients and continue to process until a sticky dough is formed - you may need to scrape down the sides of the food processor a couple of times
- Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions - approximately 30g in weight each. Using your hands roll the dough into smooth balls
- If desired, cover the balls by rolling in cocoa powder or coconut
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week