Creamy Mushroom Thyme & Blue Cheese Soup is pure comfort food in a bowl. Ladle into large bowls as a stand-alone supper or smaller portions for a flavour packed appetiser.
The Uk weather might be unfathomably warm for the time of year right now, but it hasn’t stopped me enjoying several bowls of nourishing soup this week. I love this Mushroom Thyme & Blue Cheese Soup recipe because it is rich in nutrients but also very filling, satisfying and comforting.
The truth is, I’ve loved tucking into soup for as long as I can remember. When I was a child I would regularly visit a grown-up friend for the weekend. If I was lucky enough to stay until Sunday evening, I was allowed to go to the pantry and pick my tea. I would always come back eagerly clutching a tin of soup.
These days I much prefer homemade soups to ready-made, though I’m sure there are plenty of decent tinned varieties around now. I just enjoy the process of heaping mountains of vegetables, herbs and spices into a pan and creating something wonderful in no time at all.
The majority of the time I will keep my soups healthy and light. But between the Christmas and New Year just passed I found myself faced with an incomprehensible amount of unused mushrooms and an alluring wedge of leftover blue cheese. Around 30 minutes later, I was ladling out bowls of this creamy Mushroom Thyme & Blue Cheese Soup. Sometimes the best recipes emerge from leftovers. Of that, I am certain.
This soup is very easy to make, and it really doesn’t matter if the mushrooms used have seen better days. Mine certainly had.
I’ve included a little onion, peppery celery and punchy garlic as a base to build this soup upon. Then I’ve added some fairly classic flavour combinations:
- blue cheese
Whichever you view it, this soup ticks all of the flavour boxes. It is robust, hearty and comforting.
Oh, and I decided to add a little mascarpone cheese, just to ensure this Mushroom Thyme & Blue Cheese Soup is luxuriously creamy.
Mushroom Thyme & Blue Cheese Soup
Serves 2 as a hearty supper or 4 in smaller appetiser portions
- 1 White onion (small)
- 1 Clove garlic
- 1 Celery stalk
- 1 tbsp Fresh thyme leaves (or 1 tsp dried)
- 400 g/ 14 oz Chestnut mushrooms
- 500 ml/ 2 cups Mushroom or vegetable stock (hot)
- 75 g/ 3 oz Creamy blue cheese (I used St Agur)
- 2 tbsp Mascarpone cheese
- Finely dice the onion and celery and fry in 2 tbsp olive oil over a medium heat until they soften
- Peel & mince the garlic, then add to the pan. Cook for 1 minute
- Roughy chop the mushrooms, add to the pan and cook for around 5 minutes until soft
- Add the stock and cook for 10 more minutes
- Cube the blue cheese, then stir it through the broth, along with the mascarpone and thyme
- Transfer to a blender and process until desired consistency is reached
- Pour back into the pan, season with salt and pepper as required and reheat