Creamy Mushroom Thyme & Blue Cheese Soup is pure comfort food in a bowl. Ladle into large bowls as a stand-alone supper or smaller portions for a flavour packed appetiser.
The Uk weather might be unfathomably warm for the time of year right now, but it hasn't stopped me enjoying several bowls of nourishing soup this week. I love this Mushroom Thyme & Blue Cheese Soup recipe because it is rich in nutrients but also very filling, satisfying and comforting.
The truth is, I've loved tucking into soup for as long as I can remember. When I was a child I would regularly visit a grown-up friend for the weekend. If I was lucky enough to stay until Sunday evening, I was allowed to go to the pantry and pick my tea. I would always come back eagerly clutching a tin of soup.
These days I much prefer homemade soups to ready-made, though I'm sure there are plenty of decent tinned varieties around now. I just enjoy the process of heaping mountains of vegetables, herbs and spices into a pan and creating something wonderful in no time at all.
The majority of the time I will keep my soups healthy and light. But between the Christmas and New Year just passed I found myself faced with an incomprehensible amount of unused mushrooms and an alluring wedge of leftover blue cheese. Around 30 minutes later, I was ladling out bowls of this creamy Mushroom & Stilton Soup. Sometimes the best recipes emerge from leftovers. Of that, I am certain.
Ingredients for Mushroom & Stilton Soup
This soup is very easy to make, and it really doesn't matter if the mushrooms used have seen better days. Mine certainly had.
I've included a little onion, peppery celery and punchy garlic as a base to build this soup upon. Then I've added some fairly classic flavour combinations:
- blue cheese
Can I Use Any Blue Cheese?
I've used a classic British cheese in this mushroom and stilton soup, but I am aware that this cheese is not avaiable in all countries.
Blue stilton is a robust cheese with a strong flavour. It is creamy and unless passed it's best, this cheese should not be particularly acidic. With these characteristics in mind, feel free to substitute alternative blue cheeses for the stilton in this recipe if necessary.
Whichever you view it, this soup ticks all of the flavour boxes. It is robust, hearty and comforting.
Oh, and I decided to add a little mascarpone cheese, just to ensure this Mushroom Thyme & Blue Cheese Soup is luxuriously creamy.
Mushroom Thyme & Blue Cheese Soup
Serves 2 as a hearty supper or 4 in smaller appetiser portions
- 1 White onion (small)
- 1 Clove garlic
- 1 Celery stalk
- 1 tbsp Fresh thyme leaves (or 1 tsp dried)
- 400 g/ 14 oz Chestnut mushrooms
- 500 ml/ 2 cups Mushroom or vegetable stock (hot)
- 75 g/ 3 oz Creamy blue cheese (I used St Agur)
- 2 tbsp Mascarpone cheese
- Finely dice the onion and celery and fry in 2 tbsp olive oil over a medium heat until they soften
- Peel & mince the garlic, then add to the pan. Cook for 1 minute
- Roughy chop the mushrooms, add to the pan and cook for around 5 minutes until soft
- Add the stock and cook for 10 more minutes
- Cube the blue cheese, then stir it through the broth, along with the mascarpone and thyme
- Transfer to a blender and process until desired consistency is reached
- Pour back into the pan, season with salt and pepper as required and reheat