Caffè Mocha chocolate spread is a beautiful combination of dark chocolate, coffee and hazelnuts. It's easy to make and perfect for grown up tastes.
There’s no denying it, I’m bringing you an excessively indulgent treat this week. Caffè Mocha Chocolate Spread is made using muscovado sugar, dark chocolate and coffee. These ingredients create a rich, complex treat of a spread for your morning toast. The spread is:
- Deeply chocolatey
- Wickedly alluring
I am a shameless, self-confessed lover of Nutella. I like to think of my Caffè Mocha Chocolate Spread as Nutella Sr – it’s just slightly more mature than Nutella itself.
The idea for Caffè Mocha Chocolate Spread came to me during breakfast time on a recent family holiday to France. We were sitting around eating croissants and fresh bread, with copious amounts of butter, blackcurrant jam and Nutella. As we do....
Conversation got around to why we like Nutella (um... chocolate) and how we had miraculously made a rather large jar disappear during our 2-week stay. Please don't judge me.
we I sat there, deep in though about Nutella, somebody mentioned my Espresso, Hazelnut & Nutella Thumprint Cookies. I started to think about those cookies and the joyful fusion that is chocolate, hazelnuts and coffee. Bam. Just like that, the idea of homemade chocolate spread laced with coffee and hazelnuts was born.
It had to happen.
Making Caffè Mocha Chocolate Spread is extremely easy. In fact, it's the kind of recipe you could whip up before your day has even properly started: in your PJ’s, standing on one leg, with your eyes closed, singing loudly - you are working alone, right?
Bonus: Caffè Mocha Chocolate Spread can be enjoyed in a multitude of ways. Try it slathered on your morning toast, brioche or croissant. Drop a spoonful onto your favourite pancakes or waffles. Sandwich layers of sponge cake together with it. Use it as a dip for fresh fruit. Scoop it into an ice cream sundae. Just try to make the jar last more than 24 hours. ?
Caffè Mocha Chocolate Spread
- 50 g/ 2oz Dark muscovado sugar
- 75 ml/ ⅓ cup Water
- 2 tsp Instant coffee granules
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 200 g/ 7oz Dark chocolate (I used 72%)
- 125 ml/ ½ cup Whole (full fat) milk
- 5 tbsp Chopped hazelnuts (optional)
- Chop the chocolate as finely as you can
- Put the sugar, water, coffee & vanilla extract into a small, heavy based saucepan and heat gently until the sugar and coffee granules have dissolved. Bring to the boil, then remove from the heat and let the syrup stand for 1 minute
- Tip the chocolate into the syrup and use a stick blender to pulse the melting chocolate into the syrup. If you don't have a stick blender, then stir vigorously with a wooden spoon for 2-3 minutes until the chocolate has completely melted
- Stir in the milk and add the hazelnuts (if using)
- Decant into a jar and allow to set for around 4 hours
- Store in the fridge for up to 2 week and bring to room temperature before serving