Celeriac, Spinach & Blue Cheese Soup is gloriously colourful, creamy and rich. Garnish with your favoured topping and serve it up for lunch, supper or as an elegant appetiser.
I’m about to fall headlong into a frenzy of baking, chocolate making and cocktail shaking that’s going to last approximately 2 months and take me nicely through to the New Year. But before I do that, I feel obliged to make a gesture to sensible eating habits: it’s soup time.
I used to buy a lot of soup. As in several pots every week. Then my conscience got the better of me and I couldn’t bear the thought of adding all those avoidable plastic containers to my already too large recycling pile. I knew I had the time to make my own. So I stopped buying and resolved to make my own soup a little more often.
I vary the soup I make, but I have a tendency to go for fresh & healthy veggie loaded soups. And I keep them chunky 95% of the time. But not today.
Although this Celeriac, Spinach and Blue Cheese Soup is packed with vegetables, it has been blended with some strong & creamy Stilton cheese and a drizzle of cream. It’s very smooth & full of flavour. It’s also perfect for topping with a few exciting extras:
- Crumbled Blue Cheese
- Crispy bacon pieces or chorizo
- Cheesy toasts (blue cheese on top, of course)
- A swirl of cream
Though this soup is pure luxury served with any of these accessories, for ultimate comfort, nothing beats ladling the soup into bowls and dunking crusty, buttered bread into it.
Blue Stilton cheese is readily available in the UK. It is strong, creamy and verging on sharp. If Stilton is not available near you, go ahead and substitute a similar blue cheese. I’d advise against milder, sweeter blue cheeses though (such as Dolcelatte). The aim is to keep the flavour rich, savoury & sharp. And don’t forget, you can vary the amount of cheese included according to your tastes. If you like a gentle cheesy taste, just reduce the amount included. That’s a major perk of homemade: personal tastes can, and should be, accounted for.
This Celeriac, Spinach & Blue Cheese Soup can serve as lunch or supper. Or even as an elegant appetiser with crispy, crunchy toppings. How will you be serving it?
Celeriac, Spinach & Blue Cheese Soup
- 2 tbsp Olive oil (for frying)
- 1 Leek – medium sized, outer skin removed
- 1 Garlic clove - peeled
- 1 Celeriac (medium sized - approx. 400g once peeled)
- 50g/ 2 oz/ 1⅔ cups Fresh spinach leaves
- 900ml/ 3¾ cups Vegetable stock
- 75g/ 3oz Stilton or similar strong blue cheese - crumbled
- 3 tbsp Cream or milk
Garnishes (Optional): Chopped walnuts, crispy bacon, pancetta or chorizo, croutons, crumbled blue cheese
- Finely slice the leek and garlic then fry gently in a large saucepan for 5 minutes until the leek is soft
- Chop the celeriac into 1.5cm chunks. Add the celeriac and ¾ of the stock then cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the celeriac is cooked through
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes
- Put the blue cheese, spinach & the cream (or milk) into a blender. Pour the soup into the blender and whizz until smooth (or use a stick blender in the saucepan). Add more stock if it is too thick
- Pour back into the pan, season with salt & pepper, heat through and serve with the toppings of your choice