Chocolate Tiramisu Pancakes are the ultimate Shrove Tuesday treat. Chocolate, coffee and Mascarpone cream combine with classic Italian cookies to create a simple, yet stylish dessert.
Pancake Day (aka Shrove Tuesday) is fast approaching (February 13th) so I’ve been polishing my pancake flipping skills recently whilst testing out the recipe for these chocolate pancakes inspired by the classic Italian dessert, Tiramisu.
These Tiramisu Pancakes came about after much deliberation. My go-to choice for pancake toppings are either savoury or, if my sweet tooth is nagging at me, simple lemon juice with just a sprinkling of sugar. But.... I had my heart set on presenting a chocolate recipe. I went from pillar to post on what fruit to include, before I decided to abandon any notion of healthy eating altogether and opted for the pure indulgence strategy instead.
Hi there, Chocolate Tiramisu Pancakes!
What lurks beneath these thin, crepe style chocolate pancakes is a luscious & decadent mascarpone filling that has been whipped together with egg yolk and a touch of alcohol. The result is a dreamy, creamy blend that naturally partners with the chocolate crêpes in true Tiramisu style. On the booze front, my preference is for a splash of Amaretto, but Marsala wine or even rum would work fine too. And if you're not feeling wild, you can replace the alcohol with a splash of orange juice instead.
To add a bit of bite and interest to the texture of these Tiramisu Pancakes, I opted for Amaretti cookies over Savoiardi biscuits since they stand up to a coffee dunking well and have a deep, alluring taste profile. And dunking in coffee is exactly what I had in mind for these little treasures. Coffee laced with a touch more booze, to be precise. Once steeped in the coffee, these cookies nestle innocently inside the crepes, minding their own business, but eagerly waiting to be discovered. They are the star of the show, since they add that juicy, full rounded caffeine hit synonymous with Tiramisu.
Finally, to add one more layer of texture, I opted to sprinkle the fully loaded crepes with a scattering of crushed Amaretti.
And that's it. These Chocolate Tiramisu Pancakes are sure to make a wonderfully extravagant finale to Shrove Tuesday proceedings.
Before you go, I have a nugget of LittleSugarSnaps trivia for you. Did you know that way back in October 2014 I published my first pancake recipe? It was my first ever blog post and, as I think I've mentioned before, at the time I pressed that publish button, I hadn't fully appreciated what publish meant. I thought I was still in the test stages. Heck, I hadn't actually committed to owning a blog at that point. (Durrrrrr) Um.... three and a bit years later I still seem to be blogging, but I now fully get what publish really means. I suppose thats progress. If you've still got room for more pancakes, hop over to my accidental blog post to find my American style Ricotta & Almond Pancakes.
Chocolate Tiramisu Pancakes
For the Pancake Batter
- 85 g/ ⅔ cup Plain (all purpose) flour
- 25 g/ ¼ cup Cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon Caster Sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1 Egg (large, Free Range)
- 250 ml/ 1 cup Whole (Full fat) milk
For the Mascarpone Filling
- 2 Egg yolks
- 2 tablespoon Caster Sugar
- 2 tablespoon Amaretto or Marsala wine
- 250 g/ 1 ⅛ cup Mascarpone cheese
For Coffee Amaretti
- 180 ml/ ¾ cup Coffee - warm, strong & black
- 2 tablespoon Demerara sugar
- 2 tablespoon Kahlua or Rum
- 100 g/ 4oz Amaretti Biscuits
For the Pancake Batter
- Sieve the flour and cocoa into a bowl. Stir in the sugar and salt
- Make a well in the centre and crack in the egg. Add half the milk and, using a small wooden spoon, whisk the eggs and milk together, then start incorporating the flour, little by little
- Gradually add the rest of the milk. Once mixed, it should have the consistency of single cream
- Cover and let rest for 30 minutes
For the Mascarpone Filling
- Put the egg yolks and caster sugar into a medium mixing bowl and whisk hard for 1 minute with a balloon whisk
- Whisk in the alcohol (if using) then fold in the mascarpone with a large metal spoon. Keep mixing until the filling is smooth & lump free. Set Aside
For the Coffee Soaked Amaretti
- Take ¼ of the Amaretti biscuits and crush lightly and set aside
- Pour the alcohol into the sweetened coffee
Cooking & Assembly
- When ready to cook heat a non-stick frying pan over a high heat until very hot. Add a knob of butter and swirl around the pan. Pour in ⅙ of the pancake batter (approx. 65ml) and swirl the pan to ensure the batter spreads out
- Let cook for 1-2 minutes (until set underneath) then flip over and allow the other side to cook. When fully cooked transfer to a warmed plate and continue to cook the remaining 5 pancakes
- Dip the whole Amaretti Biscuits into the coffee for 30 seconds
- Take 1 pancake and spread ⅙ of the mascarpone over half of it. Scatter with ⅙ of the soaked Amaretti biscuits and fold in half, then in half again. Transfer to a plate and top with a little crushed Amaretti. Repeat for the other 5 pancakes
- Serve immediately