Rejuvenate your lunchtime sandwich habit with a veggie-loaded Beetroot Hummus Roasted Chickpea Avocado Sandwich. It’s a bright, tasty, wholesome and satisfying mouthful.
When September hits and the new school year rolls around there is really no getting away from the fact that Autumn is well on its way. It’s time to unpack our warm & cosy clothes again and look forward to the tempting array of food that the new season has to offer. When my kids are back in school I find that it’s so easy to fall straight back into the habit of lunching on the hoof when there’s just myself to feed during the middle of the day. This year, I’m on a mission to make my lunches fun, inventive and healthy for the duration of Autumn – at least.
Well, that’s my bold intention anyway.
My starting point is this towering sandwich stack stuffed full of veggie goodness. This Beetroot Hummus Roasted Chickpea Avocado Sandwich is a mighty, healthy & rather tall treat to get your mouth around.
I believe that there are two vital ingredients needed to make a sandwich worth working those jaw muscles on:
- Fresh, tasty bread
- A filling that not only compliments the choice of bread but whose flavour stands up well alongside it
If I have both of these elements present in my sandwich, I’m generally on the right track to lunchtime happiness.
Ok, that’s my theory. But in my quest to add a little more buzz to my midday nibbling, I seem to have extended those ground rules. Brace yourself. This Beetroot Hummus Roasted Chickpea Avocado Sandwich combines fresh wholemeal bread with an extensive combination of fillings:
- colourful beetroot hummus
- crunchy roasted chickpeas
- creamy avocado
- fresh salad cress
- tangy za’atar seasoning
Essentially, this sandwich goes that extra mile by also offering:
- bags of crunch
- so many textures
- exciting flavours that wrap around each other to create pure veggie heaven
- plenty of veg and protein
And the name Beetroot Hummus Roasted Chickpea Avocado Sandwich just rolls off the tongue so easily… er maybe not?
If za’atar seasoning is new to you then you are in for a treat. Za’atar is a classic Lebanese blend of spices usually including sumac, thyme, sesame seeds and salt. The result is herby, lemony & slightly salty. It’s an extremely versatile seasoning that pairs well with salads, soups and hummus. I found a lovely recipe for za’atar from Kevin is Cooking and I recommend you mix yourself a little pot up. Once it’s made up you can sprinkle away to your hearts content with those lemony, herby flavours on tap.
Although you’ll need to make up a batch of my beetroot hummus and roast the chickpeas in advance of making the sandwich, both of these components require little effort and keep well. Any leftovers can also be used to make more sandwiches a day or two later or as snacks in their own right.
Once you have the beetroot hummus and the za’atar roasted chickpeas on standby, this Beetroot Hummus Roasted Chickpea Avocado Sandwich can be ready in a matter of minutes. If you lack conviction throughout the week, just make these two components ahead of time – sleepy Sunday evenings were made for such tasks – and you’ll be healthily munching your way through the working week with a smug smile on your face.
Beetroot Hummus Roasted Chickpea Veggie Sandwich
For the Za’atar Chickpeas
- 400 g/ 14 oz can Chickpeas (drained)
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Za’atar seasoning
For the Sandwich
- 2 slices Wholemeal bread
- 2 tbsp Beetroot hummus
- 3 tbsp Za’tar chickpeas
- ½ Avocado
- Salad cress
- ½ – 1 tsp Za’atar seasoning
Roast the Chickpeas
- Toss the chickpeas in the olive oil, za’atar seasoning and a little salt & pepper
- Spread onto a line baking tin and roast for 40 minutes at 170C/ 325F/ GM3 for 30-40 minutes, turning frequently until golden and crispy
- Let cool completely
Make the Sandwich
- Share the beetroot hummus across both slices of bread and spread it out with a knife
- Chop the avocado and lay across one slice of bread
- Scatter a large handful of the cooled chickpeas over the avocado and top with a little salad cress plus the za’atar (if using)
- Lay the other slice of bread on top of the chickpeas and slice the sandwich
- Eat immediately
The Za’atar roasted chickpeas make a delicious snack in their own right and the beetroot hummus can be used as a dip