Beetroot Hummus is fresh, wholesome and gloriously colourful. It is easy to make and great served as a dip for crudités, pitta bread or bread sticks, as part of a Mezze platter or in a veggie sandwich.
I’d like to be totally honest with you today: I’ve created this recipe for Beetroot Hummus because I am not a fan of regular hummus. To be specific: I do actually enjoy the taste of hummus quite a bit, but I find the texture and colour (especially the colour) of regular hummus a total culinary turn-off. I find it so sticky and so .... beige.
Beige is not a word or a colour I like at all. Yes, I know that sounds exceptionally childish of me, but I can't help it. I eat with my eyes as much as my mouth. So food has to look the part to impress me.
Since I find beige hummus so loathsome, I decided to get around the problem by adding a large quantity of freshly roasted beetroot to the mix.
I have to tell you that this simple beetroot addition works wonders. The texture of this hummus is looser and the colour is vibrant, fun and utterly... not beige. Pink food, I can handle. Just not beige. Sorry, I will stop my beige-bashing now.
Let's talk more about the pink hummus. Those sweet yet earthy beetroot tones really liven things up. This Beetroot Hummus tastes fresh and wholesome. And what’s more, just like regular hummus, it is great served as a dip for crudités, pitta bread & breadsticks or as part of a Mezze platter.
Making Beetroot Hummus is also extremely simple. Once the beetroot has been cooked and cooled, it takes just minutes to make. It really is a quick, fun and colourful way to liven up a tray of nibbles.
I've also discovered that Beetroot Hummus is a bit of a flavour bomb as a sandwich ingredient. And, as luck would have it, I have a recipe for a nutritious and tasty veggie sandwich - it's quite a mouthful.
More Lovely Beetroot Recipes to Savour:
- Beetroot Smoothie with Apple & Ginger
- Beetroot and Horseradish Soup with Dill
- Vegetarian Black Lentil & Beetroot Pie
- Creamy Beetroot Tahini Dip with Dill
- Raw Beetroot and Caper Salad
Healthy Beetroot Hummus
- 400 g/ 14oz can chickpeas (drained)
- 200 g/ 7oz fresh beetroot
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp tahini
- Juice ½ lemon
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 clove garlic (roughly chopped)
- Spring onion or fresh dill sprigs to garnish
- Begin by wrapping the raw beetroot bulbs in foil and roasting at 200C/ 400F/ GM6 for 1 ½ - 2 hours until cooked through
- Let the beetroot cool, then slip off the skin and chop roughly
- Put the beetroot, chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and a little pepper into the bowl of your food processor and blend until almost smooth
- Taste and add a little more seasoning if required
- Serve immediately, garnished with sliced spring onions or fresh dill or cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days