Aromatic cardamom and smooth, juicy pear blend brilliantly with vodka in this smart Cardamom Pear Martini that fits any season.
I keep thinking it’s already Easter. The kids have been home from school for nearly a week. The weather has been more than reasonable. And I have managed to cover 2 Easter themed recipes over the last few weeks. How then, is there is still over a week to go before the long weekend?
In my time lag I planned a cocktail for you to enjoy over the Easter weekend. It’s probably just as well I’ve been a little confused over dates. I had forgotten that the vodka for this Cardamom Pear Martini needs to infuse with the spice for 5-7 days ahead of any planned wild cocktail shaking sessions you might have lined up.
Once the vodka is ready, this cocktail is a breeze to make. It’s a simple combination of the cardamom vodka, pear juice and Poire William Liqueur shaken over ice and poured. So easy.
I used bottled pear juice but if you have a juice extractor then I imagine using freshly squeezed pear juice would add an extra element of wow to this already charming cocktail.
I think that simplicity is one of the best features of cocktails. Rarely can they be messed up by the home bartender (me). Oh and the almost endless flavour combinations on offer is a big draw too – I don’t like to be predictable on a Friday night
even though Negroni often features.
To round things off, I’ve added a twist of lemon zest. It really does freshen things up, awakening the cardamom and pear notes beautifully with that cheeky shower of citrus oil.
Garnished with a slinky slice of fresh pear and a spiral of lemon zest, this Cardamom Pear Martini look as special as it tastes.
Cardamom Pear Martini – an infused vodka recipe
For the Cardamom Infused Vodka
- 240 ml/ 1 cup Vodka
- 40 Green cardamom pods (see notes)
For the Cardamom Pear Martini (per cocktail)
- 45 ml/ 1 1/2 fl oz Cardamom vodka
- 45 ml/ 1 1/2 fl oz Pear juice
- 22 1/2 ml/ 3/4 fl oz/ 4 1/2 tsp Poire William Liqueur
- Strip lemon zest
- 1 Thin slice fresh pear
- 1 Spiral lemon zest
Make the Cardamom Infused Vodka
- Bash each cardamom pod gently with the end of a rolling pin (or in a pestle and mortar) to split open
- Tip into a wide necked, screwcap jar
- Pour in the vodka and seal
- Leave to infuse for 5 days then strain through a fine sieve to remove the cardamom
- Store in a screwcap bottle for up to 6 months
Make the Cardamom Pear Martini
- Put all liquid ingredients into a cocktail shaker with 3-4 ice cubes
- Shake for 30 seconds then strain into a martini glass
- Twist the strip of lemon zest over the glass between your fingers to release the lemon oil (don't forego this step - it's very important)
- Garnish with the sliced pear and lemon spiral
Fancy a different tipple? Try these:
Pin these recipes for later: