Chocolate Orange Granola is a breakfast take on the much loved chocolate-orange formula. Enjoy it with ice cold milk or pile it into a glass between layers of creamy yoghurt and fresh, charred oranges for a stylish breakfast worth getting out of bed for.
One thing I never tire of making from scratch is granola. Homemade means that we can add as many or as few extras as we fancy but it also means we get to experiment with ingredients. Concocting new flavour combinations is definitely fun and it keeps our breakfast repertoire fresh.
The most recent family poll at the breakfast table revealed that we all liked the idea of taking the popular chocolate orange dessert combination and turning it into granola.
Three attempts later and I’m pleased to reveal a Chocolate Orange Granola made with not just a little juice and zest… not even 1 orange, but 2 – yes 2 – entire oranges. If I was ever going there on this cheeky chocolate at breakfast time recipe, it had to include alot of fruit.
Although versions 1 and 2 were tasty, the orange flavour did not shine brightly enough for my liking. Finally I hit the winning formula and although, when sitting in the mixing bowl the ingredients look very wet, a slow bake transforms the oats into crisp, chunky clusters. The version I’m presenting today manages to deliver a good hit of chocolate whilst also embracing the sweet, zesty undertones of oranges.
Since I’m a fairly strict parent when it comes to sugar intake, my condition for this kind of flavour at breakfast is always the same: it must not contain too much refined sugar. So I’ve done my best to keep the syrup low and boost sweetness with the fresh orange and dried fruit. And as for those chocolate chips? Omit them to keep this granola healthier. But since chocolate is a fitting addition to this recipe, including a small amount for a weekend splurge is a worthy diversion.
And the best ways to serve this dark and crunchy granola? Drench it in milk and watch that liquid take on a milk chocolate hue or assemble yourself a very stylish Chocolate Orange Breakfast Parfait by layering it up with thick & creamy Greek yoghurt and a few wedges of charred orange (happy sigh).
Chocolate Orange Granola & Chocolate Orange Breakfast Yoghurt Parfait
For the Chocolate Orange Granola
- 150g/ 1 1/4 cups Oats
- 2 Oranges (weighing approx 175g/ 6 oz each)
- 3 tbsp Coconut oil
- 2-3 tbsp Agave syrup (depending how sweet you like it)
- 3 tbsp Cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 100g/ 2/3 cup Raisins
- 2 tbsp Hazelnuts
- 2 tbsp Pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp Linseeds
- 2 tbsp Chocolate chips (optional) Milk or dark work well
For the Chocolate Orange Breakfast Parfait
- 1 Orange (per person)
- 3 tbsp Chocolate Orange Granola
- 3 tbsp Greek yoghurt (plain, unsweetened)
For the Chocolate Orange Granola
- Preheat the oven 140C/ 275F/ GM1 and line a baking sheet with baking parchment
- Finely chop the hazelnuts and finely grate the zest from the oranges. Tip into a large mixing bowl along with the oats, seeds, and raisins
- Over a bowl (to catch the juice) carefully remove the skin, seeds and pith from the oranges. Add the remaining orange flesh and juice to a food processor and blitz until completely broken down into a puree
- Melt the coconut oil and agave syrup (either in a saucepan or in the microwave). Add the cocoa powder and mix until combined
- Pour the chocolate liquid into the dry ingredients and stir through
- Tip the pureed orange into the bowl and stir again
- Spread the granola onto the baking sheet and cook for around 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes until dry. If the raisins look as if they will burn, lay a sheet of baking parchment over the granola after 30 minutes (do not tuck it it - air must be able to circulate to ensure the granola crisps up)
- Once cool stir through the chocolate chips, if using and store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks
For the Chocolate Orange Breakfast Yoghurt Parfait
- Carefully peel the orange and slice into circles around 5mm thick
- Heat a dry griddle pan on a high heat. Add the orange slices in a single layer. let cook until just beginning to char (1-2 minutes). Turn over and allow the reverse side to also brown
- Remove from the pan and let cool slightly. Chop each slice into quarters
- In a glass layer 1 tbsp granola with 1 tbsp yogurt. Top with 1/3 of the charred orange and repeat these layers two more times
- Eat immediately
Pin these Chocolate Orange Granola recipes: