The Cherry Coconut Smoothie is a beautiful blend of coconut, cherry, cinnamon & vanilla. It’s pertinently pink, wickedly delicious and wholly virtuous.
Suddenly it’s late August and summer is waning. How exactly it’s got to this stage of the year I don’t know. In fact, I think summer 2015 must have been on horseback as it has literally galloped by me at lightening speed. Before my mind turns to autumn, I have one last hurrah for summer to share with you: my pertinently pink Cherry Coconut Smoothie. It’s super speedy to make, wickedly delicious and wholly virtuous.
Fresh, in-season cherries are one of my favourite treats. I consume so many during their short season. Truth be told, I have to reign myself in and ensure I leave a fair portion for the rest of the family sometimes. I really could just sit and eat my way through an entire (large) box of them. Unadorned. No cream. No chocolate.
I’m easily pleased.
The Cherry Coconut Smoothie is a real celebration of this fruit. The colour is a beautiful, warm, blush pink. The coconut sits alongside the cherries perfectly, tempering their slightly sweet, slightly tart nature with a touch of tropical creaminess.
I’ve added an extra dimension to this smoothie by splashing a little vanilla and cinnamon into the mix. Although these flavours are very subtle, they really turn the Cherry Coconut Smoothie into a well-rounded glass full of goodness. It all just sits together looking colourful and smug… until I come along with a straw and 20 seconds later it’s all gone.
Yes. I do adore cherries and Cherry Coconut Smoothies.
Of course, cherries are not only charming on the palate. They are also amazingly good for you too. There’s actually a large bunch of health benefits that this humble fruit can boast about. However, my favourite justification for cramming myself full of cherries all summer long has to be that they are brilliant for your memory.
I’m a walking cliché in that I used to be a well-ordered, organised, punctual person. Then I had kids and 9 years later I’m always on the verge of being late, disorganised and just plain forgetful. Hand me those cherries.
With that in mind, I’m pleased to tell you that the Cherry Coconut Smoothie can be made with fresh or frozen cherries, so it’s a year round drink. Fancy joining me in a year long, memory enhancing, cherry slurpathon?
Make sure you stay up to date with my recipes as I switch into the new season. Why not follow along by email and have all my recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
- 200 ml/ 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp Coconut water
- 100 g/ 4oz Chopped pineapple (fresh or frozen - see note above)
- 150 g/ 6oz Pitted cherries - fresh or frozen (see note above)
- 2 tsp (heaped) Dessicated (flaked) coconut
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp Ground cinnamon
- Put all of the ingredients into a blender and whizz until smooth
- Pour into 2 glasses and serve immediately
1. I recommend serving this smoothie immediately after blending, since natural separation of the ingredients does occur after 5-10 minutes (it's still tasty though). 2. You can make this drink with fresh or frozen cherries. Likewise, the pineapple can be fresh or frozen. For ease of blending, I suggest that only one of these fruits be frozen - either the cherries or the pineapple - not both. 3. Assuming that one of the fruits is frozen there is no need to add ice to the blender.