This Mustard Vinaigrette Potato Salad is loaded with punchy flavours and texture. It is easy to make and it can be paired with a multitude of main courses. Keep this tangy & tasty carbohydrate based salad to hand in your recipe collection.
When it comes to potato salad, I have to confess that I’m not overly into the mayonnaise-laden versions. For years I didn’t realise that a different style existed but I’m so pleased that I finally woke up and discovered that vinaigrette makes a fine alternative to mayo.
Most potato salads are easy to assemble, can be made in advance and keep well for a few days. This makes them the ideal food to serve up at summer parties or to keep on standby in the fridge for those rare (UK) summer moments when it is too hot to slave away over supper. This Mustard Vinaigrette Potato Salad is no exception to these traits. It is a corker of a summer side dish to keep in your recipe box.
This salad is bursting with enticing flavours and textures. I’ve included wholegrain mustard, plus a few yellow mustard seeds to add a little heat and bite to the vinaigrette. A touch of lemon and capers delivers a juicy tanginess to the salad and dill adds a subtle herbal flavour along with a pop of colour.
Finally, spring onions and radish add extra crunch and savoury freshness. All in all, it’s a lively & fresh mayo-free potato salad that can be enjoyed straight from the fridge or (better still) at room temperature.
What Can I serve Mustard Vinaigrette Potato Salad With?
Really, there are no limits as to what this side dish can be served with. I developed this recipe with BBQ season in mind and it makes a great addition to a salad bar accompanying your grilled burgers, chicken and kebabs. However, don’t feel you can only enjoy it this way. Here are a few more partnerships to consider for this salad:
- Baked fish
- Smoked salmon
- Frankfurter style sausages
- A ploughman’s platter
- Salad (any number of salads…)
Once made, this vinaigrette potato salad keeps well for 3 days. It is a really easy and tasty dish to whip up and keep dipping into.
If you are looking for a more substantial salad offering, give my green bean and potato salad a try – it ticks the boxes for both carbs and vegetables combined.
Have you made this Mustard Vinaigrette Potato Salad yet? What did you serve it with? Please show me what you made – you can tag #littlesugarsnaps on Instagram.
Mustard Vinaigrette Potato Salad
- 450 g/ 1 lb New potatoes
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp Wholegrain mustard (Dijon can be substituted)
- 1 tsp Yellow mustard seeds
- 4 tsp Capers (salted, not brined)
- 3 Spring (scallion) onions
- 6 Radish
- 3 Sprigs dill
- Seasoning – to taste
- Do not peel the potatoes, but wash them as necessary. If the potatoes are large cut them in half. Boil in salted water for 15-20 minutes until tender
- Drain and set aside to cool
- Rinse the capers well and mince roughly
- Top & tail the radish, then slice thinly
- Remove the outer skin from the spring onion, chop off the root (discard) and slice thinly
- When the potatoes are cool mix the olive oil, mustard, mustard seeds, lemon juice and capers in a small jug until well combined. Pour over the potatoes
- Add the radish & onion. Toss briefly, taste and season as necessary
- Just before serving chop the dill and sprinkle over the salad