This Salted Honey Hot Chocolate is a luxurious and intriguing comfort drink. The hot chocolate is made from dark chocolate and sweetened with honey for a sublime cocoa taste. Topped with whipped cream laced with sea salt and honey for an extra flavour dimension. It’s very mellow and verging on addictive.
I never tire of hot chocolate. It’s a lifelong habit I don’t think I’ll ever grow out of. All that sweet, warm, milky, indulgent contentment that one mugful can offer up. What’s to knock about that?
I also never tire of trying out new flavours to feed my hot chocolate habit. And guess what? Yes, I’ve been messing around with a new recipe this month and I’m excited to be welcoming back my star flavour of 2017 – salted honey. Yup, Salted Honey Hot Chocolate is now a thing in my house.
This drink is quick & simple to make and relies only on typical ingredients that are likely to be hanging around in your cupboards and fridge already. So, it’s perfect for those ad-hoc moments when you realise that only hot chocolate will suffice… Like those days when you’ve got home late and you’re chilled to the bone. Or that startling moment when you (not me) realise that it’s been 3 days since you last consumed chocolate.
Whatever the occasion, a round of deeply delicious Salted Honey Hot Chocolate can be whipped up in a flash.
The actual hot chocolate is very straightforward – it’s a blend of your favoured dark chocolate (for me 65% cocoa) blended with hot milk, honey and a tiny pinch of salt. I recommend giving this mix a good blitz in a blender to create a luscious, light & bubbly foam for your hot chocolate.
This base hot chocolate drink is divine on its own but when topped with whipped cream that has been spiked with sea salt and honey, it reaches an entirely different level. That salty-sweet hit of cream seems to add extra depth to the drink and makes this Salted Honey Hot Chocolate irresistibly mellow.
Leftovers can be stored (separately) in the fridge until required. Just give the chocolate a shake and reheat before spooning that heavenly cream on top.
Have you tried my Cinnamon Chocolate Cake with Salted Honey Buttercream or my Salted Honey Ice Cream yet? You really need to!
Salted Honey Hot Chocolate
For the Honey Hot Chocolate
- 750 ml/ 3 cups Whole Milk
- 75 g/ ⅔ cup Dark Chocolate – roughly chopped (I used 65% cocoa)
- 2 ½ tablespoon Honey
- Pinch sea salt (optional)
For the Salted Honey Whipped Cream
- 150 ml/ ½ cup Double (heavy) cream
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon Sea salt
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- Chocolate flakes (optional)
Make the Hot Chocolate
- Put the milk, honey & salt (if using) into a saucepan and heat gently until scalding, but not boiling
- Put the chocolate into a heatproof blender, pour on the milk and blitz until the chocolate is combined and the milk frothy. (Alternatively, drop the chocolate directly into the pan of hot milk and stir until melted – it will not be as smooth, creamy and frothy)
Make the Salted Honey Whipped Cream
- Grind the salt using a pestle & mortar (it will blend into the cream better).
- Put the cream into a bowl, add the honey and ¼ teaspoon salt. Whisk briefly to combine the ingredients. Taste – add a little more salt if desired. Continue to whip the cream until it reaches the soft peak stage
- Pour the hot chocolate into mugs and top with a scoop of the salted honey cream. Sprinkle a few chocolate flakes over the cream (if desired) and serve immediately
Ahhh yes, yes please!! I LOVE the sound of this, especially that it is naturally sweetened with honey – salted honey just takes it to a whole new level! Must try!
Yes! It’s almost virtuous – I like that train of thought 😉 . Seriously, I bet it’s way less sugar and calories than the average coffee shop take out.
I love the touch of salt you added. A nice balance.