What better way to enjoy the traditional flavours of Chai Spice that in cocktail form. This Chai Latte Martini swaddles warming spices with vodka to create a smooth and slightly sweet drink that is perfect to savour over autumn and winter.
September is the month I allow myself to rekindle my secret love affair with spiced chai goodies that I’ve buried deep during the warm summer months. But when the mornings are crisp, the evenings are dark and padded jackets are needed again, I’m quick to immerse myself in all things chai spiced. I need that fix of warming, sweet, aromatic spice to see me through the cold times ahead.
If you dig into my recipe archives you’ll quickly discover that I have a mild obsession with chai spice. I’ve made shortbread, nuts, syrup and several comforting hot drinks using this trusty friend. But I’ve never made an alcoholic drink with it – until now. What, you might ask, took cocktail-loving-me so long to get there with the alcohol?
Confession: I’ve been making myself this Chai Latte Martini for around 3 years but I’ve greedily kept it to myself until today. Sorry – I just ran out of time last autumn. And the previous year….
At the heart of this Chai Latte Martini is a sweet & milky tea drink that has been infused with my blend of chai spice.
The milky drink can be enjoyed warm, as it is, but, when cooled and muddled with vanilla vodka it is transformed into a gently spiced, smooth and slightly sweet cocktail.
Opinion varies as to what should go into an authentic chai spice (masala chai) blend, but a little cardamom and cinnamon seem to feature in most renditions. I’ve also included ginger, nutmeg, allspice and cloves in my mix but if you have a favourite spice blend you cannot bear to deviate from then you can sub it into the recipe.
And did I mention how lovely your home will smell whilst you’re meddling with all of these cosy spices? Just one more reason to fall for autumn.
More Recipes to Feed a Chai Spice Obsession:
- Chai Spiced Shortbread
- Chai Spiced Nuts – 3 ways
- Masala Chai Syrup
- Chai Spiced Steamer
- Hot White Chocolate with Chai Spice
Chai Latte Martini
For The Chai Spice Mix
- 3 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp Ground Ginger
- ¾ tsp Ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp Ground allspice
- ¼ tsp Ground cloves
- ¼ tsp Ground cardamom
For the Spiced Chai Latte
- 1 tea bag (I used English breakfast)
- 3 tsp demerara sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon Chai spice mix
- 125ml / 5 fl oz freshly boiled water
- 100ml / 4 fl oz Whole (full fat) milk
For the Spiced Chai Latte Martini (ingredients per glass)
- 50 ml/ 2 fl oz Chai tea
- 50ml/ 2 fl oz Vanilla vodka
- Handful ice
- Pinch grated cinnamon and/ or nutmeg
For the Chai Spice Mix
- Measure all ingredients until a bowl and stir well. Store in an airtight jar for up to 3 months
For the Spiced Chai Latte
- Put the teabag, spices and sugar into a heatproof jug. Top with water and let steep for 5 minutes
- Remove the tea bag and discard. Let the remaining ingredients steep for a further 20 minutes
- Strain through a muslin cloth or a disposable paper filter. Discard tne wet spices
- Add the milk to the strained liquid and either heat to drink as it is or cool and refrigerate until ready to make the cocktail
For the Spiced Chai Latte Martini
- Measure the spiced chai latte and the vodka into the bottom half of a cocktail shaker (or a jug). Add ice and stir (do not shake) for 20 seconds
- Strain into a martini glass and dust with a little freshly milled spice (optional)
- Serve immediately
- This recipe gives sufficient quantities of Spiced Chai Latte for 1 drink but the same quantity is sufficient to make 4 cocktails.
- Add a little maple syrup (1-2 tsp) to the cocktail mix for a sweeter version
Edyta at Innocent Delight
I love chai spices. It never crossed my mind to use it in an alcoholic drink. Splendid. Need to make it this weekend.
Thanks Edyta. I hope you enjoy it.
Shashi at Savory Spin
Oh wow! This is a first for me – I don’t think I’ve ever had a boozy version of spiced chai before! Clearly am so missing out!
Thanks Shashi – you’d better rectify that by having one asap!
Chai latte martini? Whaaat? I have to try this asap! 🙂
🙂 🙂 Thanks Julia. Hope you get to enjoy one very soon.
Love chai! Love martinis! This sounds like a perfect combo!
This looks delicious and so perfect for this time of year too! I’d love one of these at the end of the day.